“Go Rooney (some dog), get that ball back to me”, you call out to your pet and his obedient and trained traits are enough to serve the purpose. Is this the form of exercise that you offer to your pet too?
Mind you! The ball has all the chances of reaching to some place that is too away from your considerations and, Lord Forbid!’ you could hear your pet screaming in pain. Well, not to discourage you with the drawbacks of the game, this was just to inform you that accidents and mishaps could be a part of any process.
When you run to find, you discover your dear pet to be stuck in a thorny bush around, or has been stung by an insect or reptile that shows an ooze of blood.
Otherwise too, if your pet tries too hard in its gaming mood, he has all the chances of getting bumped into some object such as gardening equipments, trees, furniture or even a wall.
To say the least, accidents could take place anywhere and everywhere. Even if you train your pet in the most vacant spaces, you could never totally forbid the chances of a leg sprain or neck injury due to your pet’s extra ebullient nature.
Under such conditions, what is most helpful is a perfect first aid kit (first aid box, for instance), that contains all the elements and products needed in an emergency.
Here we would inform you about the same mandatory kit that could serve as a life saver for your pets in its everyday activities. This would contain the following major heads:
- Imperativeness of a pet’s first aid kit
- Contents in a first aid kit
- Storing the pet’s first aid kit
Why is Keeping Pet’s First Aid Kit More Than Important?
Ask the same question to yourself and replace the word ‘pet’ with a ‘human’. Did you get what you intended? Probably yes.
And just as pets tend to be members of your family, under any kind of mishap, you would not love to see them groaning in pain. If you think that vets live too near to help you, think of the consequence that could occur when you travel to some place, or when the vet is away for some days on a holiday.
This is why, keeping a secure first aid kit for your pet has its own unique advantages. For instance, if your pet has got a minor cut on its body due to some reason, you could always use the securely kept products to apply medications and help it for the meantime.
Pets are one of your liabilities and taking care of them, using all the pet grooming tips, adds to the bulk you bear for their presence in your house.
And thus is the imperativeness of the first aid kit for your pet, which could turn to be life saver in its daily activities.
Making A First Aid Kit For Your Pet:
If you have been considering already for the same, instead of purchasing some commercially available pet first aid kit, you could make up your own in the house. And just as we consider that you may not be a medicine specialist, for the purpose, you could take the help of an expert or a vet.
Here we have brought for you a list of products that find themselves necessary to be placed in the first aid kit for your pet. You could take a look at these and even get it approved by your vet:
General Equipments and Supplies:
Some General products that are to be kept at a place are:
- Tweezers, scissors and nail clippers
- Muzzle or a roll of gauge for making muzzle
- Styptic powders or cornstarch
- Magnifying glass and penlight
- Cotton Swabs or cotton balls, clean towels and paper
- Rectal thermometer
- Oral syringe or eye dropper
- Any kind of lubricant such as KY Jelly of some mineral oil
- Disposable gloves
- Syringes (of various sizes), nose pliers
- Extra-big towels or blankets to wrap your pet during cold or while travelling
- Cold and heat packs
- Stethoscope (if you could learn its usage)
Essential Bandaging Products:
Bandaging products that you could need in your first aid kit are:
- First aid tapes, including both the paper tape and adhesive tapes
- Non-stick pads
- Various sizes of square gauge
- Bandage Roles for pets
- Bandages for humans (if needed)
Various imperative medicines that are to be placed essentially are:
- Disinfectants to apply on wounds, such as Nolvasan or Betadine
- Sterile Saline
- Eye Wash products
- Ointment for eyes
- Triple antibiotic ointment for skin
- Medicines for dehydration in pets, such as Pet Pectate
- Diphenhydramine (or Benadryl for pets) to discourage allergic reactions
- Itch stopping sprays or cortisone creams
- Hydrogen Peroxide Solution for making your pet vomit
- Activated charcoal for disabling the ingested poisons in the pet’s body
- Ear Cleaning products
Some of the following nutritional supplements may turn handy in emergencies, you never know. You could keep supplements such as:
- Solutions to cure dehydration
- Nutritional pills such as Vitamin or Mineral tablets
- High sugar source
Even if you keep the imperative contacts safe in your closet, keeping them written securely with your first-aid kit could save a lot of time in critical conditions. Some of the essential contacts that you could keep are:
- Phone numbers and directions of the nearby vet clinic. Also, the doctors which could visit your home to treat your pet in emergencies
- Pet hospital phone numbers, in case your pet requires an ambulance service to immediately get admitted in a hospital.
- Poison control centre contact details and directions.
All of the above mentioned products and elements could be invited to a single place and serve to be useful under uninvited situations. Assembling the products yourself could be way cheaper, than the notion of buying a commercially available first aid kit for the pet.
Upkeep and Considerations With First Aid Kit:
Just as it is extremely imperative to have a pet’s first aid kit at home to keep extra safety measures, the maintenance and regular regulation of the same is similarly necessary.
You could keep track of the following points in the process for getting the best of results with your pet first aid kit:
- As aforementioned, you may or may not be an expert in collecting products, as there could be various qualities available. In such as case, the advice of an expert (your regular vet or any other person) could be mandatory.
- Again, when you have finally recovered all the products of your need, take the kit to the expert again and get it inspected. It is to make sure that you have collected the correct quality and quantity of the items. If you have obtained some alternative of a mentioned product, get it approved too.
- Keep the first aid kit at an easily reachable place. You would regret searching for your kit when your pet is under an emergency and needs immediate help.
- However, do not keep the kit in the reach of your pet. The sweet smelling medicines could lure your pet to get its tongue on it and you could yourself imagine the condition if it takes some undue medication. Also, the instruments such as scissors and tweezers etc. too, could hurt your pet physically.
- Some of the contents in the kit are due for expiry, be they used or left unopened even for once. This has to be checked at least once in about a quarter year. You would never like to use the expired products and offer more troubles to your pet’s body. Therefore, replace the expired ones in time.
- Products such as reusable towels and blankets should be washed regularly. Also, if you keep reusable gloves, these too need to be washed with a sterilizing liquid to turn them free from infections.
- If you are travelling with your pet, you could adjust some space to keep your pet’s first aid kit as well for emergencies.
- Learn to make use of some products such as Hydrogen Peroxide Solution and rehydrating products. Wrong usage of these could be extremely hazardous; you should always keep in mind.
- The elements could be kept in a watertight container, away from the sunlight and the reach of children.
Pet First aid could turn to be life savers for your pet. If you have been thinking of taking a step forward in this, it is better to do it in haste as accidents always turn up uninvited and unexpected.
Also, if you have distinct kinds of pets living under a roof, such as cats and dogs, you could consult your vet for the difference in medications that they could have.
Even if you keep a single first aid kit for them, it is imperative to remember the medications that could be common in their usage and the ones which differ according to their body needs.