As a proud owner of a pet such as dog or cat, you would be inclined to offer it more of the diet that is natural in preparation or could be easily prepared at home. Rather than the usage of commercially available dog foods whose ingredients are always a matter of debate, most of the pet owners would love to feed their pets with home-made foods.
With the usage of these homely foods you could remain well assured of the ingredients that are being used in the food of your dog and also keep track of the consequences that they lead to.
There are several options of human food items that are also served to the dogs and oatmeal stands out to be one of the most effective and nutritional elements.
Here, we would like to discuss some of the properties of oatmeal that could be used as pet grooming tips, where the food and nutrition of your beloved pets is concerned.
Could Dogs Be Served With The Oatmeal That Human Consume?
Oatmeal is one of the healthy options for the diet of a dog at any stage of its life. These cereals are full of imperative fibers that boost the functioning of digestive tract in the dogs, while they also possess many imperative nutrients such as Carbohydrates and Proteins.
Is Oatmeal To Be Served Plain Or Could Be Supplemented With Other Stuff?
As far as the combination of stuffs is concerned, humans consume oatmeal that is enhanced with sugar, salt, spices and veggies so that they receive an extra flavor from the same.
In contrast to this, oatmeal of the dogs should not contain any sort of sweetness, saltiness or spices. These are the substances that are specifically meant for human consumption and could harm the body of pets if they are allowed in their food.
Many people tend to mix the oatmeal with milk when they serve it to their dogs. This practice should also be discouraged as milk could cause lactose intolerance in the body of dogs.
The best practice says that oatmeal should be served to the pets after cooking it at optimum temperature and without adding any sorts of flavors. A bit of veggies such as carrots etc. could be added to enhance the flavor and appearance of the meal and also increase its nutritional values.
Some people may also add a pinch of cinnamon to the meal as a flavoring agent which is considerable a safe option in the same.
Several commercial forms of oatmeal such as oatmeal cookies etc are also available which could contain chocolate and raisins. Beware of such sweet treats as they could do more harm than good to the body of your pets. Additionally, chocolates, raisins and sugars are some of the bitter foes of your pets.
To Cook It Or Not To Cook?
Oatmeal is best served when it is cooked. Therefore, you would be required to cook the product at optimum temperatures so that with the taste, the nutritional value of the same could also be enhanced.
Amount Of Oatmeal To Be Served To The Pets:
As per the general recommendations, the quantity of oatmeal varies with the weight of the dogs. For every 20 pounds of the weight of your dogs, one tablespoonful of oatmeal is effective for effective body functioning.
Dogs should not be given an extra amount of oatmeal diet in order to obtain extra benefits, as oats are loaded with carbohydrates and calories. Due to this, dogs could load their body with extra calories and end up being obese.
Too much oatmeal could also lead to conditions such as diarrhea and vomiting in the pets.
Why Oatmeal Is Considered A Good Option For The Dogs:
Usage of oatmeal could lead to many beneficial effects in the body of dogs such as:
- Oatmeal is a good source of excellent soluble fibers which facilitate the bowel movement in the body of pets. It could also bring relief from many irritable digestive troubles such as diarrhea, flatulence, constipation and vomiting etc. Further it could help to bring relief to a disordered digestive tract and helps in returning back to the normal.
- Could serve as an effective alternative to wheat as oatmeal does not contain glutens which could be problematic for the body of dogs
- Could help in lowering the level of cholesterol in the body owing to the presence of soluble fibers which are also an effective supporter of the heart health
- Oats are one of the best sources of proteins in the foods that are vegetarian by nature. As Proteins are also one of the prime requirements in the body of the dogs, oatmeal could help to replenish the levels, especially if you are inclined to feeding more of vegetarian food to your dog, rather than the non-veg. items such as eggs and meat etc.
- Oats are a good source of some imperative Vitamins and Minerals such as Vitamin B5, B9, Folic Acid, Iron, Manganese, Zinc, Copper, Phosphorus, Biotin and Molybdenum etc.
- Oatmeal is a great assistance to the skin and coat of the dog. It helps in providing essential skin-benefitting nutrients and due to this, the outer coat of the dog could also have a supreme finesse.
- Helps in production of red blood cells in the body
- Are highly useful in boosting the immunity level of the body
- Dogs which are obese could also receive great benefits from oats. As these are good sources of fibers, it could make the belly of the dog full even with a small amount of meal and this would persist for long so that dogs do not require food at regular intervals.
- Oatmeal could also be used externally. A paste of grinded oats could be formed by mixing it in water and this could be used as a cleansing material for the body of the dogs. This oatmeal shampoo is an excellent enhancer of dog skin and hair.
Owing to all the above reasons, oats are one of the most healthy food products that have innumerable benefits for your pet’s body. If you wish to offer these benefits to your pets too, include oatmeal in the diet of your dogs and view the results within a short period.