The most imperative of the organs in the body of living beings, the brain, is also one of the most complex ones. It is the system that controls the working of each and every minute organ and therefore needs to stay robust throughout the life of a living being.
Just as our own brains, our pets too have a specific nervous system that controls the functioning of their body, and similar to the diseases that human beings get affected with, the brain of the pets too gets affected with the neurological syndromes.
Cats are one of the most loved pets almost all over the world. These bubbly creatures, which are never suppressed with leashes, too could be affected with innumerable neurological disorders that affect its body.
Here we would discuss the neurological disorders that affect the cats in due course of their life and methods to overpower these well. This would revolve around the following main heads:
- The nervous system of a cat
- Types of neurological syndromes that could affect it
- Diagnosis of a cat with neurological disorders
- Treatment of the cat
- Living and management of the pet
Understanding The Nervous System Of The Cat:
The brain of the cat is responsible for all kinds of reactions in its body viz. general health, emotions, its movement etc. A disorder in its nervous system could be a result of an imbalance in the activities of its brain. The nervous system of the cat is made up of 3 major sections:
- Central Nervous System: The brain and the spinal cord of the cat make up its central nervous system
- Peripheral Nervous System: The peripheral nervous system in the body consists of the nerves that are attached on one end to the brain and on the other to organs, in order to carry the impulses.
- Autonomous Nervous System: The autonomous nervous system of the brain is made up of neurons that control all the actions in the body of cats naturally such as pumping and beating of heart etc.
When all these parts of a common system, known as nervous system, work in coordination, the body of your cats functions efficiently in its living. However, in likely case of an intricacy in neurological system, the cats may receive disorders such as seizures, aggressive behavior, shakes and tremors and coordination troubles etc.
Types Of Neurological Disorders In Cats:
There could be various kinds of neurological disorders that could affect the body of pets. These could broadly be divided into the following heads:
- Tumors: Tumors are the lumps in the nerves of a cat’s brain that could pose immense pressure on its brain. While some kind of tumors such as Meningioma tumors could be treated with the help of surgeries, other fatal ones such as glioma tumors are far from being well even with surgeries.
- Seizures and Epilepsy: Epilepsy could be an acquired disorder in cats which is caused due to excessive head trauma. The symptoms of this could sometimes be idiopathic which means that the exact cause and nature is almost undeterminable. One of the dangerous symptoms of epilepsy is seizures in their body.
- Hydrocephalus: Hydrocephalus is the medical term which denotes an excess of fluids in the brain of cats. The fluids present, could lead to expansion of the skull of cat which results due to pressing of brain of the cat by the fluids.
- Cervical Disk Disease: The discs present in the body of cats could pose pressure along the spinal cord. Due to these cats could have symptoms ranging from mild neck pain to hazardous paralysis in their body. Some of these cervical diseases may require immediate attention of a vet and surgical treatments.
- Feline Hyperesthesia: This is one of the peculiar disorders that lead to a change in the body conditions of a cat. You may sometimes view the cats running wildly, in circles or excessively mewing or yelling. These are the prime symptoms of such cats, whose exact cause and treatment is yet an unsolved puzzle for the vets and pet behavior specialists.
Diagnosis Of A Cat That Has Neurological Syndromes:
While your cats come up with symptoms of neurological disorders, they may require an immediate vet attention. The vets could also require complete history of the pets, the possible causes that may induce such an action and the diet culture of it in addition.
This could be followed by the proper physical examination of the pet’s body and the biochemical profile too, which includes urine tests, blood profile and blood pressure.
Apart from these, vets could also require assistance of some other tests such as chest X-Rays, MRIs, CT Scans and collection of a sample of collection a sample of cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) to be offered for the laboratory tests.
Treatment Of The Affected Cat:
Following the diagnosis, the cats would be offered treatment to the disorders, which will be according to the extent of the diseases. Sometimes, the medications could even be specified according to the specific disorders that affect them.
For example: if your cat gets neurological symptoms due to microbial actions, various kinds of medications may be offered to them that suppress the attack of microbes. Almost all of these symptoms may be treated with the medications, which could require admittance of your pet to a hospital. Some might even require surgical treatments which may offer relief to the pet altogether from the diseases.
Living And Management Of The Pets:
Cats that are offered neurological treatments may take a bit of time to get recovered. This could be ranging from 2 to 8 weeks. Additionally, you may be required to keep track of its living conditions using all the cat grooming tips to prohibit any such conditions in the future.
The golf-sized brain of a cat is as intricate as comparatively bigger ‘master-organ of the humans. This is why any kind of a neurological symptom and syndrome in their body needs to be mitigated with sincerity and efficiency.