When you take the responsibilities to nurture a pet, it could involve a number of services viz. its food, sanitation, health and even the emergency conditions that it encounters.
It could not be supposed as an easy assignment and involves a whole lot of patience and care. Even worse are the conditions when these pets show some indifference towards you care. One such situation occurs when your pet turns out to be a picky eater.
We are here to discuss the following items in regards to the picky eater pets:
- What are picky eaters?
- Why do they turn out to be fussy?
- Signs and signals of picky eaters
- Effects on the body of picky eaters
- How to help the picky eaters in proper feeding
What Pet Would You Call A Picky Eater?
Just as you might have viewed a child being fussy in his or her eating habits, similar is the condition with the pets. The human children have their parents who fulfill all the wishes of their child to feed them. What about pets?
Most of them are not lucky enough to have an animal-parent and it is the responsibility of their master to keep track of the food habits of their pets. Picky-eaters would create a mess if they do not want to eat a particular food item you give them.
Either they run away with the mere name of food or they leave it with only a sniff.
While it is not a common problem with the dogs, who devour their food to the last morsel, some of them could be really affected. They would not pay heed to what comes infront in their bowl and would be highly selective of their diet.
Generally, this problem arises with the smaller breed of dogs such as Maltese and Yorkies etc.
Why Do Pets Turn Out To Be Fussy?
There could be various reasons for the fussy nature of the pets towards food such as:
- Their dislike for certain ingredients of the food
- Problems in the teeth due to which they are not able to chew the food
- Some major body problems such as ineffective digestive system which ejects the food as soon as it is ingested
- A disease in the body due to which it is not able to concentrate on feeding
- When you switch from one food to the other, your dog could turn out to be picky in its eating habit
- The taste of the food is not meeting its expectations
What Signs And Signals Are Offered By Picky Eaters?
Picky eaters could show various conditions while they disagree with the food you provide. Some of these could be:
- They would run away when they see the food item approaching towards them
- The dog would sniff the bowl of food but would not care to put it in its mouth
- It would lick the food but the taste compels it to leave the food without taking the second bite
- You have to involve many tricks and playthings while you tend to lure your pet towards the food
All these conditions are shown by the pets which tend to be finicky with their eating habits and demand huge attention from their master to finish their meals.
How Does Picky-Eating Affects The Body Of Pets?
Being particular with the diet of pets is good from the master but picky-eating habits mean that your pet is not ingesting the required amount of nutrition in its body. Due to this it could have various health symptoms such as:
- The indication of eating finicky is that pets tend to lose their weight at a faster pace. While the right amounts of nutrients are not being consumed by the dog, its body would tend to consume the existent muscles and it would drop its weight.
- Deficiency of energy in the body would make its condition worse. It would feel fatigued while its body does not function well due to lack of enough energy.
- Several diseases hover in the body of pets while the vital nutrients are not taken in the body.
- The major organs of the body such as brains, liver, heart and kidneys etc. may not function well due to deficiency of nutrients in the body.
Helping Picky-Eaters In Their Diet:
With all the above mentioned critical conditions, picky eating habits could harm your pet and it could also cause its death. Therefore, the pet-keeper needs to be utmost vigilant of the fact and try to help out their pets in its nourishment. You could make use of the following tips:
- Pet Food and Human Foods are Different: It is one of the common facts that need to be known by a pet keeper. Though you dearly love your pet, you could not feed it with all that you place on your dining table for yourself. Food items such as onions, garlic, raisins, scallops, dairy products, raw meat, meat and fish bones, all kinds of beverages including tea and coffee etc. are utter foes of your pets.
Considering the above fact, the prohibited items should not be included in your pets’ diet. Some of these are so perilous that they could kill your dog within a single day.
- Table-Scraps are not for Pets: would you like the notion that your pet sits begging beside your dining table while you tend to have your meal? Undoubtedly no.
Besides, table scraps are highly injurious to the health of your pets. It could cause various diseases in the body of pets such as pancreatitis etc. It could also affect the digestive system and render it disorders such as diarrhea and dysentery.
- Feeding Habits Start at an Early Age: This means that you have to prepare yourself for the nourishment of pets, even before you bring them home. While the pet is still young, it could get easily accustomed to the eating habits and learn them well.
In contrast to this, if you do not offer it with a plan while it is still young, chances are there that your pet will become a picky eater some day.
- Follow a Routine to Feed the Pets: You may love to add variety to your diet but this is not applicable while you feed your pets.
While the dogs are still young, you could feed them more than twice a day in small portions. The number of diets tends to reduce as your dog reaches maturity. An adult dog could function well with one or at the most two diets in a day. But it is to be kept in mind that these diets meet well with the requirement of the body.
Moreover, the diets should be measured and accurate. You could use a measuring cup for the purpose.
- Wet Foods Rather Than Dry Foods: if you are in a habit of feeding your dog with a dry food, try to change this to wet one. Some dogs have troubles with their teeth due to which they are not able to chew their food properly.
Instead of this, you could use wet foods that go on nicely with the teeth and digestive system. An extra amount of moisture in the foods helps the digestive tract to function well and convert the ingested food into energy.
- Aromatic Foods and Pets: some pets tend to be picky in eating due to the unpleasant aroma of the food. You could help to change the foods to more aromatic ones and those which lure the dog to eat them.
This does not mean that you have to fill their plate with harmful food. Several options for the healthy ones are available which apart from respecting the body, provide a relish to the taste buds of the pets.
- Switch Smart: changing your dog’s menu to entirely a new one would not help it in feeding. Rather, the dog would not appreciate the change and demand for the old diet, even if it is harming the body.
Therefore, the changes that are to take place need to be slow. Mix the new food item with the old one and encourage your dog to finish the food. This generally involves time but the pet-master has to be patient to bring a change in the feeding habits of the pets.
- Visit a Vet Regularly: dogs may become picky due to certain problems in the body. Sometimes, due to negligence on the part of their master, these could turn out to be big ones. To eradicate any chance of such problems, schedule a regular check-up of your pet. Remember! Prevention is better than cure.
Feeding your pet with the right kind of diet is your prime responsibility and may test your endurance. It is all the more worse while you stay with a dog that is fussy in its eating habits.
But your careful nature accompanying love and care could treat your dog well and it could have a better feeding habit ahead.