The notion to keep fish is certainly an effective one for the people with less time. They require less of care while they do not demand for anything extra. You would have viewed colorful aquariums in the home of people and owners feeding them with fish food.The notion to keep fish is certainly an effective one for the people with less time. They require less of care while they do not demand for anything extra. You would have viewed colorful aquariums in the home of people and owners feeding them with fish food.
Seeing this, you could also have developed the idea of keeping a fish aquarium at your home too. This is certainly a good idea, but with certain cautions. There are a few guiding principles that you could inculcate before and while you purchase fish.
Some of the tips in regards to this are as follows:
- Knowledge About Fish: Before you buy fish, it is very essential to know that what their breeds are. There are a variety of fishes available and you could choose from these as per your requirements. You could consult some good fish books, ask the pet stores or have a good knowledge from internet sites like aquahobby.com, fishlore.com, fishprofiles.com and seriouslyfish.com etc. You should also keep in mind the place where it is to be kept viz. home, school or office etc.
- Visit A Fish Store: While all the theoretical knowledge is collected, a bit of practical is needed too. You could visit a nearby fish store for the better knowledge of these fishes. With the experience of the store, you could get to know about the health of fishes, the foods they eat and their conditions to thrive. Several newly opened stores do not have adequate knowledge of the organisms they keep. They could mislead you with what you gained from reading. Therefore, it is better to search for the most experienced ones to buy fish.
- The Fish That You Selected: When you select a fish at some store, do not buy it at once. Collect more information about it from the other sources. Its size, its living conditions, its care and what is consumed by it should be known well in advance. Also, their behavior with the other fishes and the size of tank that fits them could also be known while you bring them home.
- Prepare The Space For The Fish: Select a suitable corner which would be effective enough for the fish to be kept. Use an adequate sized fish tank. A general guideline says that there should be 1” of fish per gallon of water. Various equipments used within the tank such as filter heater, thermometer and decorative items should also be brought in advance.
- Introduction Of Fish In The Tank: When you bring home the bag of fish, do not pour it at once in the tank. Instead, dip the bag in the tank water till it reaches the same temperature as tank. After this, slowly transfer the fishes in tank water, while they get acquainted with their new home.
- Keep the number according to the capacity: A maximum of six fishes should be bought at a single time. It is certainly not a good idea to load your tank with large number of fishes. The pets need to build up their bacterial colony that keeps nitrites and ammonia away from them. You could introduce new fish in the tank after a minimum period of two weeks.
Your new pets are now ready to dwell in their new unit with you. Proper care and attention would offer them a healthy and long life in the future.