Your dear pooch, that you have chosen to be one of your house members, could turn out to be a spoiled brat, if it gets lots of open spaces. Many highly pampered dogs would always stay in a close vicinity to their owner and would never love the concept of being separated even for a small instance.Your dear pooch, that you have chosen to be one of your house members, could turn out to be a spoiled brat, if it gets lots of open spaces. Many highly pampered dogs would always stay in a close vicinity to their owner and would never love the concept of being separated even for a small instance.
Regardless of the fact that masters have time for their pets or not, the pets would always try to follow their masters and this could be a symptom of big trouble that follows close behind.
For such kinds of dogs and for others who turn out to be too aggressive for visitors to your house, you could provide a separate resting places or crates, which are small enclosed houses.
The Concept of Crates:
Dogs are said to be the descendents of animals that prefer living in dens. As their natural instinct to find a secure place to sleep, take rest, hide or simply lay down forces to find for them a secluded corner, these crates could suit them well.
These are simple, enclosed, portable and exclusive houses for the dogs that could also be used to contain them when required.In spite of this being a very popular concept, many people critically acclaim the concept of enclosing a dog in crate, just as you would do to a bird. This is due to the reason that they do not want the natural freedom of the dog to be snatched from it and therefore, they would never agree to the concept of crate for their pets.
They might be true in a few concepts, but it is needed to be understood that dogs are not kept permanently in crates. In contrast, the crates are used for specific purposes only.
The Use Of Crates:
A crate which is also termed as a portable kennel, could be used for various purposes. It would help to curb the hyperactivity of your dog that could force it to get involved in all sorts of destructive activities such as chewing household items, digging holes in the soil, hovering over garbage, catching small animals and pawing where it is unnecessary.
A crate could also serve as a place where the pet could be kept during the visit of strangers, kids and other persons, whose presence is not appreciated by the dog. These portable kennels could also be used when you are travelling with your dog.
Even when your dog requires a separate portion to get rest, sleep and save itself from the dangerous weather, these crates turn out to be a handy option. Dogs could easily take shelter in these at the needful periods.
Training Your Dog For A Crate:
Most of the dogs would never appreciate the concept of being enclosed, especially if they have been used to living in an open space. Under this condition, it becomes the prime responsibility of the pet keeper to follow proper pet grooming tips and train your dog effectively to use its own personal space.
You could make use of the following steps to train your dogs to use a crate:
- Dogs would always be required to lured, when teaching them to use a kennel. As an introduction to it, take your dog to the crate when it has been placed well in its favorite spot, inside or outside the house. Put some tempting eatables and pat him to eat them inside.
- As the pet enters and consumes the eatables, place a soft blanket inside and encourage it to rest there. Pats and gentle strokes should be followed to help it in the cause.
- Do not close the door at the first instance or the pet may never enter it again. If it attempts to come out, offer commands to get back in and rest. You could manually lift up the dog and place it inside the kennel with the commands till it understands what is being ordered.
- As the dogs develops a habit of staying calm, offer to close the door when it is restfully munching its treats inside. Allow only some kinds of toys that are big enough, not to be swallowed. Slowly limit the use of these toys.
- When the dogs stay comfortably inside the crate, you could offer to keep them in, enclosed for one whole night. Do not keep any food or water in the space during the night. If possible, keep the crate close to your sleeping space for the first night so that the dog could feel its master close by and does not attempt to escape due to insecurity.
For Dogs That Resist:
Not every dog would agree to be contained in a crate and some would show their utter discontentment for the process. These sorts of pets are needed to be handled with patience and not with punishments or beatings.
It could be possible that dog has some medical trouble which is forcing it to resist the kennel. Get your dog tested thoroughly by a vet and if any sort of medical complication is found, get it treated completely before introducing it again to the crate.
The dog could also create a fuss at night due to toilet or other conditions such as noises in the house. Open your dog and take it outside if it needs to use the toilet. But in any case, do not offer your dog a midnight treat and never praise your dog for such an action.
If your dog creates fuss during the day time after it has been locked, you could sit close by the crate and tap on the door slowly so that the dog becomes silent at least for some time. Appreciate the dog when it is silent and try to encourage more silence. The dog would slowly learn the need to be silent when it is inside.
Many of the dogs would never enter the crate, in spite of putting treats and dog toys inside. For such dogs, you could offer to feed them close to the crate, taking a step closer to the kennel every single day, till you reach inside. When the dogs agree to be fed inside, you could follow the other procedure to teach it getting enclosed.