When you come across various cat grooming tips and they offer the advice of keeping the electrolyte content balanced in your pet’s body, these are more than advices for you. Keeping a balanced content of electrolytes is utmost imperative for your pet’s body, disobedience of which could be extremely fatal in the due course.When you come across various cat grooming tips and they offer the advice of keeping the electrolyte content balanced in your pet’s body, these are more than advices for you. Keeping a balanced content of electrolytes is utmost imperative for your pet’s body, disobedience of which could be extremely fatal in the due course.
Here we would discuss the Feline Electrolytic Disturbances and how to keep the situation in control when you notice any such symptoms with your pets. This would include the following major points:
- Meaning of electrolyte disturbances
- Causes of electrolyte disturbances in cats
- Symptoms of electrolytic disturbances
- Diagnosis of the cats with electrolytic disturbances
- Treatment methods for the cats
- Recovery and prevention of the disorder in future
What Is Electrolyte Disturbance?
If you remember from your chemistry classes, electrolytes are the positive or negative charged mineral ions. These minerals ions are found in the body of living beings and they remain dissolved in the blood for the needs of the body.
Maintenance of a proper level of electrolytes is highly imperative for many inner critical organs such as brain, heart, kidneys and muscles etc. When the level of these electrolytes falls above or below the stipulated content, the body of a living being is bound to face some tough situation and so denotes for the cats.
Excessive or deficient content of electrolytes may lead to display of various kinds of troubles in the body of cats, some, due to which it could rather act in a strange manner. The cats could lose the control over their muscle functions, their cognitive ability could decline a fair bit and even the beating of their heart could be at a scary rate.All these conditions call for the advice of an expert vet and you should act in haste for the stipulated job.
Causes Of Electrolyte Disturbances In Cats:
Electrolyte disturbances in the body of cats could be due to the following causes:
- Gastric Troubles: If your cat has some gastric trouble, such as vomiting or diarrhea, it could suffer a loss of nutrients and hence could be a victim of electrolytic imbalance.
- Blood Sugar Troubles: High Blood Sugar or diabetes in the body of cats could well be a cause of electrolytic imbalance.
- Lack Of Hydration: Dehydration is one of the major troubles that lead to electrolytic disturbances in your cat’s body. Almost all of these mineral ions travel with water and lack of water could be a critical factor for the electrolytes.
- Renal Troubles: If your cat has some serious troubles relating to its kidneys, you could expect it to face electrolytic imbalance in its body, with symptoms relating to the same.
- Hormonal Imbalance: The working or disposal of the electrolytes is all governed by the hormones in the body and any imbalance in hormones from glands such as thyroid or pituitary etc. could be a determining factor for the content of electrolytes in the body.
- Medicine Reactions: If your cat is in a regular dose of some medicines, it could suffer a reaction in its body which causes a disturbance in the level of electrolytes.
- Cancers: The critical cancers could also degrade the content of electrolytes in the body of your cats, causing their deficiency and disturbance simultaneously.
- Lack of Certain Nutrients: If the food that you provide to your cat is lacking in the essential minerals, you could always expect it to suffer from electrolytic disturbances in its body.
- Stress: Stress is one of the major killers of electrolytes and a stressful cat may decline from feeding itself. Due to this, the body of your pets could have symptoms of electrolytic disturbances in its body.
Symptoms Of Electrolytic Disturbances:
There are various kinds of electrolytes in the body of living beings and disturbance in any of these could lead to distinct symptoms. For instance, you could find electrolytes of calcium, phosphorus, sodium, chloride, potassium, magnesium and fluoride etc. in the body, and an imbalance in any of these could always be troublesome for the body.
- If your cat suffers electrolytic disturbances, you could expect to view the following symptoms:
- Extensive thirst in cats, with no regular schedules
- Increase in the urination, which could accompany a color change
- Weakness in the muscles or paralysis attacks
- Anxiety, state of depression or a confusion state
- Excessively high or low beating of heart
- Abnormal breathing rate• Anemic conditions
- Lack of physical consciousness
- Tiredness or fatigue
And since there are various kinds of electrolytes in your cat’s body, the kinds of disturbances could also be various according to the kind of deficit mineral. The extent of these disturbances could only be determined when you visit an expert vet to get your pet diagnosed.
Diagnosis Of A Cat With Electrolyte Disturbance:
If you come across any such symptoms of electrolytic disturbances, do not attempt to treat the trouble at home. This is due to the fact that electrolytic disturbance could merely be a symptom of any underlying diseases in the body of your pet, which needs to be dealt with strong head. You could visit a vet for the same, who would diagnose the conditions with some tests, depending upon the situation you describe.
Your vet would need the full detail of the symptoms, from the time it started, the living conditions of your pets, its diet plan, environment, medications and any other useful information. Relying upon these, the pets could perform the following tests for your pets:
- Physical Diagnosis: The vet could attempt to check the heart rate of your cat, its breathing rate, the color of skin, eyes, hair, muscle conditions and their reflexes. This could determine to great extent, any serious disorders that your cat could have chances of.
- Blood Tests: Blood tests are done to determine the type of electrolyte(s) which go high or low in the blood to cause disorders. With this, the vet may even stand a chance to discover any kind of renal disorder or anemic conditions which led to electrolytic disturbance.
- Urine Tests: The content of urine may also be checked to determine the composition of electrolytes in it.
- Other Imaging Tests: The use of X-Rays, radiography and ultrasounds may also be helpful for the doctors to determine the working conditions of the organs and if any of these has led to electrolytic disturbances.
Treatment Of Electrolytic Disturbances In Cats:
Electrolytic disturbances could be really exhausting in cats and the vets could attempt to hospitalize your cats in severe cases. A regular dose of Intravenous fluids with the necessary electrolyte supplementation is inserted in the body of cats.
These are generally the painless treatments and you could expect your cat to recover in a short time. However, if vets discover some other disorder such as kidney trouble, anemia or heart disorder, they would provide altogether a distinct treatment method for these. Your vet may recommend dialysis or medications, depending upon the conditions and these are even applicable when your pet is found to be diabetic.
Recovery And Prevention Of The Disorder:
Electrolytic disturbances would call for a special kind of diet for your cats, till the time it recovers completely to eat all that is required. The recovery of your cats could be dependent on the kind of diet that it intakes for its benefits.
For instance, the vets may recommend meals that are high in minerals of the required kind. A stipulated dose of water at a regular interval is also an imperative requirement for its body. Many electrolytes may even be found in the water and you could expect your pet to be well soon, if it has its body properly hydrated.
Apart from this, proper medications at stipulated schedules and vet referrals at regular intervals may also facilitate your pet’s haste recovery. For other intricate conditions such as electrolytic disturbances arising from kidney diseases, cancers or diabetes, it could take a considerable time for your pet to get recovered.
Once your pet gets recovered, it is essential for you to make sure that the disorder does not creep in your pet’s body again. Talk to your vet and get to know the exact cause that led to the disease. It could be some living condition, some fault in diet plan, some medication or even some chronic condition in the body.
Nipping the symptoms off their buds is highly imperative for your pets as the conditions could arise at any time in the future. A change in diet plan and reschedule of living conditions of your cats may also be helpful for the body of your pets.
Electrolytic disturbances could lead to many disturbing and appalling conditions, and sometimes, these are even the indications of other underlying troubles. Therefore, as an effective pet parent, it is imperative to recognize the conditions early, get them confirmed with diagnosis and treat them before it is too late.