Almost no level of age or maturity in pets is an assurance that it is safe from the attack of diseases and disorders. There are some rather perilous elements that could hover to attack even the healthiest of your pets, be they do from the internal body parts or externally.
This is why you are required to follow all of the pet grooming tips in a scheduled manner and visit a vet regularly for your pet’s routine checkup. You would never have the slightest of notions that when a hazardous disorder implanted its roots in your pet’s body. And this could never be discovered until it becomes lethal for its life or you follow a regular pet checkup.
Getting your pet checked in a routine manner would ensure the effective functioning of its body and nipping the bud of any disorder in a timely manner.
Here we would discuss some of the topics related to a regular vet-checkup of your dog, which would be under the following major heads:
- Routine checkup for pets and its imperativeness
- Preparing for a routine checkup
- The components of routine checkups
- The time-span between two consecutive routine checkups
What A Routine Checkups For Pets And Why Are They Important?
Just as you would offer a routine checkup to your body or some other of your family member at a doctor’s clinic, pets too require and get a regular health check from a vet to ensure that no disorder goes creeping into their body.
A regular checkup could also be termed as a ‘wellness examination’ of the pet in a scheduled manner, which takes into account all the physical, mental and behavioral traits of your pet. An apparent healthy pet could show some internal deformity which could be caught hold off easily and nipped off the bud due to these wellness examinations.
And just as you would have heard of the saying- “Prevention is better than cure,” so is the reason of performing regular vet checkups. A dangerous disorder is not too dangerous in its beginning and could be easily eliminated when discovered early.
However, if you miss the regular checkups, you could never be sure of its body conditions, unless your pet turns to be apparently unhealthy. Additionally, if your pet is quite young or nearing its senior age, the attack of disorders is all the more frequent than the middle-aged dogs.
This is one of the major reasons that most of the pet owners take turns to visit a vet regularly with their pet, no matter how healthy it appears before them.
Preparing For A Routine Checkup:
If you are visiting a vet for the first time or even when you are experienced with the condition, you should always do prior preparation of the needful. For instance, you could book your appointment beforehand and be on time to the clinic.
You could even ask the vet for the needful to be brought with the pet. For example, some vets may suggest testing your pet’s urine or feces and these could always be kept beforehand in a secure container for their examination. You could inquire your vet if the pet has to be brought in an empty stomach, with some diet or only upon a serve of water.
Additionally, the vets would seek information about the living condition of your pet, its breed (if it is some highly exotic one), the diet of your pet, any previous body conditions, medications, supplements, exercising pattern, whether living inside or outside, its physical grooming conditions and any other required behavioral characteristics that have been noticed as a change.
You need to offer all the information regarding these and the further tests could be followed only upon the condition of your pets.
The Components Of A Routine Checkup:
The routine wellness of your pets could encompass some or all of the following components:
- Blood test for the healthy as well as the suspected-disordered pets
- Urine tests to measure the amount of wastes, its coloration and other components
- Vaccinations, the required ones and the status of the previously offered
- Digestive system condition and its working
- The skin and fur test of the pet to eliminate any insects, discoloration, mattes, rashes, wounds, lumps, texture and any unidentified spots
- Respiratory system coordination, with conditions such as coughing or sneezing to be taken into account
- The ears and eyes of the pet to ensure no presence of itchiness, swellings, discharge or redness
- Intestinal parasites in the body through fecal matter test, to eliminate them
- Oral health of your pet to ensure no presence of any stink or cavities
- X-Rays to ensure the normal size of each and every organ of the body
- Ultrasounds etc. to detect any abnormality in the inner body
- The extent of motion of limbs, its exercise levels and nutritional deficiencies, if any
- Behavioral traits, such as if your pet is too aggressive, timid, extremely low or high in energy etc.
- The heartbeat of your pet, cholesterol level and content of fat in its body
- The electrolytic test to make sure of the adequate fluids required for its bodyApart from these, the vets may suggest some other tests too if they discover any physical, mental or behavioral changes in its body.
The Time-Span Between Two Routine Checkups:
The frequency of your pet visiting a vet’s clinic could be dependent on many conditions of its body and others, such as age, environmental conditions, food, breed and size of your dog etc.
According to the age, you could take into account the following thumb rule for a vet’s visit:
- Young Ones Under One Year:These could require and should be offered a vet’s examination almost one every 3 to 4 weeks, until they become about 16 weeks old
- Pets In The Age Group Of 1 To 7 Years: These pets could visit a vet once a year if they appear perfectly healthy, and more frequently if they require some medications or supplements
- Pets After 7 Years Of Age:Generally, these pets could visit the vet twice a year, but you need to do this more often if your pet is suffering from some age-related syndrome or some other internal or external disorder.
Also, the body size of your pets and its breed could be a determining factor for its scheduled wellness examination. A larger breed of dog would age earlier than a smaller one and hence needs to be checked more frequently.
You could take into account all the above information and seek a wellness examination for your pet in a scheduled manner, so that you do not regret in future when you discover some hazardous disorder, always ready to cost its life.