The universal liquid, water is one of the prominent requirements for the body of a human being. It is a well-known fact and a scientifically accepted truth that human beings could stay alive for 3 weeks without food but in need of water, humans will perish well under 3 days. Interesting no? Because what we thought is available in gratis in the environment, is so valuable and significant for us. The worth of anything is merely known until it makes us pay through our nose and this is what water could do to us if not available according to the stipulated needs.The universal liquid, water is one of the prominent requirements for the body of a human being. It is a well-known fact and a scientifically accepted truth that human beings could stay alive for 3 weeks without food but in need of water, humans will perish well under 3 days. Interesting no? Because what we thought is available in gratis in the environment, is so valuable and significant for us. The worth of anything is merely known until it makes us pay through our nose and this is what water could do to us if not available according to the stipulated needs..
Apart from the human beings, water is all the more necessary for the flora and the fauna of environment. You might have seen plants wilting and drying in need of water and animals performing a number of jobs in search of drinking water. When that is the case, if you have a pet such as a dog at home, how would you determine the amount of water it needs for itself. It is living in your house as your mate and is totally dependent on you for all its needs. In the sultry conditions too, it has certain requirements such as keeping its body cool and hydrated so that the body functioning is not disturbed.
What is Dehydration in pets?
Dehydration may be defined as a condition of serious disorder in the body when the intake of water and electrolytes is not in a stipulated amount or there is an excessive loss of the same. It may also be a result of muggy conditions of weather which do not allow the body of the pets to function well.
Causes of Dehydration:
As already mentioned, water is required by the body benevolently and a reduction of the same or loss may develop conditions such as dehydration.Dehydration develops due to one or more of the following conditions in a pet:
- If your dog is disinclined towards food and water because of some serious conditions in the body such as fever or cold
- If your pet is losing water and minerals with vomits, diarrhea or panting.
- When the pet is having urinary tract disorders such as kidney failures and it is losing water in the form of urine.
- When the weather conditions are excessively stifling Under all these conditions, the pet is bound to suffer due to shortage of liquid in the body.
Consequences of Hydration in the Pets:
Pets such as dogs and cats are highly affected due to loss of water. Water is not merely a requirement to quench the thirst but its obligations extend well beyond it. It is used to keep the entire body hydrated and in turn allows the organs to function well. Due to this liquid, the nutrients and minerals are distributed to the entire body.
Failure to get the solvent could affect the body of the pet in following ways:
- Low circulation of the blood in the body. Due to this, the level of minerals and electrolytes could get disturbed causing various disorders.
- Skin becomes wrinkled and dry. The cells perish quickly and the tissues and muscles could be highly affected.
- Ill functioning of the brain and the nervous system.
- Development of digestive tract disorders such as vomiting, diarrhea and excessive bowels.
- Rapid loss of the body weight with a disinterest towards food and water.
- Weakness, depression and lethargy.
- Effect on the blood pressure and heartbeat.
- Sunken eyes and excessive panting.
- Drowsiness and unconsciousness
- In prolonged cases, dehydration could also cause its death.
How to Keep the Pet Hydrated?
To prevent all the above mentioned disorders, it is extremely important to keep the body of the pet hydrated, especially in the sultry conditions. Give your pet an adequate amount of water to drink in the day and also keep some supply for the night. Choose the right sized water bowl for it and keep it absolutely clean. Pet dogs would generally not drink the water if it is not clean or is emitting bad odor.
Find the right amount of water that is required by your pet. Dissimilar to the humans, a dog’s body is also made up about 60% of water and it requires the same amount to function well. In summers it could lose water from 5% to 10% of its total body weight, which is fairly high to cause dehydration. Therefore, the need arises that it should intake the same amount as lost and do away with the conditions such as dehydration.
If your pet is sick and unwilling to drink water, you could use a soaked towel to offer it liquids.Facilitate the use of water in its food so that the lost amount could be recovered through it.
Offer it foods that contain a relatively high amount of liquids. Canned foods could also be made use of while you attempt to keep the body of the pet hydrated.
If the temperature outside is high, allow your dog to rest in the house, or at a place that does not encounters humid conditions. You could cover the body of the pet with a towel soaked in water. Also, you could also spray water on its body to keep the heat missing. Again, do not forget that orally taking the stipulated amount could only help the body to function well.
When you take your dog for a trip with you, keep it in a condition that heat does not bother its body. Facilitate an adequate supply of air and feed it constantly with water. Also, do not leave it unattended in the car. The hot weather could cause problems to its body and develop disorders such as excessive sweating and panting.
If the conditions are too detrimental as far as the heat is concerned, offer it baths at regular interval and you could add ice to the water for this. Bathing keeps the skin cool and supple, keeping the pet rejuvenated.
Treatments for Pets That are Disordered Due to Dehydration:
When the pet does not get the required amount of water for a long time, it may encounter various diseases and disorders. These need to be looked carefully so that it does not encounter more serious conditions. If you pet is panting or vomiting, give it water mixed with stipulated dog mineral powders, so as to replenish the lost content. If it does not work, rush to the vet at once. It requires immediate attention of an expert so that there is less chance of any further complications. If required, the vet would provide primary medications and wait for the conditions to become normal. He could also inject intravenous or subcutaneous fluids to replenish the loss.
Tips to Avoid Dehydration:
There are various methods in a day to day life with which you could keep track that your pet dog or cat is not losing adequate water. Some of the methods are as follows:
- When the dogs are performing exercises, they could get heated very quickly and start panting. Make sure to keep some bowls filled with water, which the pets could drink sparing a few moments after the exercise.
- Do not allow it to drink excessively cold water after he has finished his exercise. It could be a cause of conditions such as vomiting, loose bowels and high fever.
- If the condition of dehydration occurs, offer the pet water mixed with electrolytes. This solution works a great deal while the early signs of dehydration show up.
- If your pet has gone without water for a fairly long time, do not offer it excessive amount of water at once. It could try to consume each and every drop and lead itself to troubles. Instead, offer it small quantities at regular interval.
- You could offer your pet some ice to lick.Dogs could easily hydrate themselves with the use of ice.
Use of Pedialyte:
Pedialyte is a suitable product that was once designed for the human infants but could be used for the pets too. It is unique combination of minerals chloride, sodium and potassium and comes in various lip-smacking flavors to lure the pet. It is known to be one of the best re-hydrating elements that you could offer your pet while it encounters dehydration. While you make its use, it is very important to utilize the designated amount of the product according to the weight of your dog. The thumb rule states to give about one-fourth cup of the product every hour, diluting it with water. Also, in any case, do not mix any additional sugary liquids and if required consult a vet before using the product.
When the question to take care of your pet arises, you could do any possible thing to keep it hale and hearty. Water and hydration is one such need that comes under essential caring habits for the pet.Therefore, it is required to be vigilant of the needs of water for your pets and if in any case it encounters dehydration, it could be re-hydrated back and lead a robust life again.