The utter responsibility of keeping the pet healthy lies in the hands of a pet-keeper. The body of a pet is maintained according to the diet provided to the pet. Apart from the diet, the sanitation and pet grooming are other major responsibilities that are associated with the pets.
In spite of performing all the duties well, sometimes the body of pets could experience some grave syndromes due to which their overall functioning is highly affected. One such condition that could occur all of a sudden is diarrhea.
Though diarrhea is not categorized under the list of highly perilous diseases, it has the capability to take away the life of your pet.
Here, we would be discussing the real meaning associated with the word diarrhea, its causes, effects and find out the ways with which we could defeat this disorder. This would include the following topics:
- What is actually meant by diarrhea?
- What are the causes of diarrhea?
- What are the effects of diarrhea on the health of pets?
- What are the methods with which the diarrhea problem could be swiped away?
What is Diarrhea in Dogs?
Diarrhea in dogs could be characterized by rapid movement of food and water out of body of your pets. The movement could be in two forms:
- From the mouth of pets in the form of vomits
- In the form of stools
When their body experiences diarrhea, apart from ingested food and water, the essential electrolytes too come out of the body. Due to this, the enzyme reactions in their body could be highly affected.
What are the Causes of Diarrhea in the Body of Pets?
Diarrhea could be caused due to various reasons such as:
- Improper diets which include non-regularized food, eating more than the required, eating garbage or eating spoiled food. The discrepancy in the diet of dogs is one of the major causes of diarrhea in their body.
- A sudden change in the diet of pets could also cause diarrhea. If the pet-keeper provides a diet that is dissimilar to its regular diet, the body may not be able to adapt with the ingredients in the new food and in turn may throw it out.
- Intolerance towards a particular type of food could also cause diarrhea.
- Allergies due to various reasons in the body are one of the prominent reasons for causing diarrhea.
- Diarrhea could also be caused due to parasitic attack in the body. Various parasites such as roundworms, whipworms, hookworms, coccidian and giardia etc. greatly influence the body of pets. These may be ingested in the body due to improper food or contaminated water.
- Eating poisonous substances such as plants etc. could also induce diarrhea in the body of pets.
- If the pets swallow an indigestible item such as plastic or metal, it could also result in ejection of food and water out from the body of pets.
- Bacterial and viral infections could also cause diarrhea in the body of pets. Various viruses such as Parvovirus, Distemper and Corona virus etc. and bacteria such as Salmonella are the culprits for causing diarrhea.
- Illnesses in the body which may be caused due to kidney and liver diseases, inflammations, colitis or cancer etc. may also be the causes of diarrhea.
- Various medicines provided to the pet for combating other diseases may also cause diarrhea.
- Any sort of emotional stress or boredom could develop diarrhea conditions in the body of pets.
All these are the prime reasons that could cause diarrhea in the body of pets.
What are the Effects of Diarrhea on the Body of Pets?
The various effects of diarrhea on the body of your dog are as follows:
- Excess loss of water from the body of pets could lead to dehydration. If the stipulated amount of water is not present in the body, the pet could experience faintness.
- High loss of water could accompany blood with it. The blood could be included in the vomits and the stools as well.
- The pet would lose its weight frequently
- There would be an increase in the amount of feces discharge from the body
- The appetite of the dog would be reduced and it would refuse to take food
- Other problems such as lethargy, inactiveness, sleepiness and reduced activity could be experienced by the pets.
Table 1: Symptoms of Diarrhea Due to a Small Intestine Disease Versus a Large Intestine Disease
|Symptom||Small Intestine Diarrhea||Large Intestine Diarrhea|
|Volume of stool||Increased||Normal or slightly increased or decreased|
|Frequency of bowel movements||Normal to increased||Usually very increased|
|Blood present||Uncommon; digested blood may result in black, tarry stools||Common; fresh red blood is seen|
|Mucous present||No||Large amount common|
Methods With Which the Diarrhea in Pets Could be Controlled at Home:
Immediate Care for the Pets:
- If Diarrhea Conditions are Experienced but the Pet is not Vomiting:
- Do not offer any kind of food to the dog for atleast 12 hours. Instead facilitate the supply of water in this time. The solid food could come out but the content of water should not decrease from the body.
- After the stipulated time, you could give the dog a meal of cooked chicken with rice. Until the consistency of the stool becomes normal, do not offer it any kind of heavy foods which could worsen the conditions.
- If it does not get well within 24 hours or you notice blood in the stools or mucus-coated stools, it is better to approach the vet soon, instead of trying to solve the problem yourself.
- If the Dog is Vomiting:
- Do not offer any food or water to the dog for atleast 12 hours or till the time the condition becomes normal
- To keep the dog away from dehydration, offer it some ice cubes to lick. Ice cubes could help in replenishing the loss of water. You could also offer it soda water for the purpose.
- When the vomiting becomes normal, offer it a little amount of cooked chicken with rice to eat. You could also introduce a small amount of water if there are symptoms that vomits have ceased to happen.
- Wait for atleast two hours to find whether the dog vomits on eating the food or not. If there are no signs of vomiting, you could offer another round of light food after two hours
- Continue the treatment until the feces return to the normal condition. If the vomits show no signs of stopping, rush to the vet as soon as possible.
Clinical Treatments of Dog With Diarrhea:
The clinical treatments of dogs could include the following steps:
If diarrhea is caused due to worms in the intestine, various kinds of wormers are introduced by vets in the body of pets. These wormers have the capability of scavenging the worms from its intestines. Wormers could be required more than once in periods ranging from weeks to months.
With the worms, the eggs laid by the worms would also be necessary to be removed from the body. These if accumulate in the body, could hatch again to form new worms.
If the diarrhea problem is refusing to stop, the vets would be required to ingest intravenous fluids in the body of pets. Without these, an excess of loss of water from its body could cause the death of pets.
If the diarrhea conditions are caused due to harmful bacteria in their body, it could be suppressed with the help of antibiotics. Antibiotics could also be given if diarrhea has caused an injury to the intestines (blood in the feces denotes that intestine has been injured).
The injury in the intestine could cause the introduction of bacteria in the blood of the dog. If bacteria spread with the blood, there could be serious problems in the entire body.
If diarrhea has been caused due to swallowing of a poisonous material, the antibiotics are refrained to offer. These antibiotics could combine with the poisonous materials or chemicals to introduce new and serious problems. In this case, the body of the pet should be carefully diagnosed before offering any kind of a medication.
Thus, with the above methods, the diarrhea conditions in the dogs could be easily controlled.