Regardless of how vigorous your pet tends to be, there are certain unorthodox troubles that could pop out of nowhere. Your furry canines may be influenced with one such condition known as Epistaxis in its nose, which is a disorder relating nasal bleeding consequences.
Let us discuss this growing trouble in dogs’ body in a bit detail, where it would be in respect to the following points:
- What is Epistaxis or nose bleeding?
- Kinds of Epistaxis in dogs
- Causes of these bleeding conditions
- Symptoms of nose bleeding
- Diagnosis of the trouble
- Treatment of your pets
- Living and management
What is Epistaxis?
As already mentioned, Epistaxis refers to the extremely dreadful condition of flow of blood from your pet’s nasal cavity, nostril or nasopharynx. Though it might sound meager, the conditions could be highly influencing and in need of an immediate vet care.
A bleeding nose of dog could be due to many physical injuries. However, you could never look down upon the seriousness of the trouble as these could relate themselves to other troubles in their body.
Types Of Epistaxis In Dogs:
Epistaxis in dogs could be majorly divided into two categories in accordance with their bleeding nostrils:
- Unilateral Nose Bleeds: These are the nasal bleeding troubles that show their presence only in one of the nostrils. This could be due to a physical wound in their nose, some infection or due to tumors or polyps in the nose
- Bilateral Nose Bleeds: The bleeding troubles that occur from both the nostrils simultaneously in your pets are known as bilateral nose bleeds. These bleeding troubles could be due to presence of nasal mites which lead to sneezing troubles, ingestion of some poisonous substance such as rat-poisons, some medications or fungal attacks etc.
Causes Of Epistaxis In Dogs:
Epistaxis or nasal bleeds in dogs could be due to the following causes:
- Some kind of physical injury in their nostrils
- High blood pressure of the body
- Tumor in the nostrils
- Coagulation troubles which occur due to reaction of medications provided
- Dental disease in the body
- Nasal cancers
- Chocking of nasal cavity due to some foreign elements
- Consumption of some kind of poisonous substance, such as rat poison or insecticide, or even a dead rat infected with poison
- Fungal infections
- Insect attacks on the nasal chamber
- Tick-borne diseases in the nose
- Blood protein issues in the body
- Certain bleeding disorders such as Thrombocytopenia etc.
On account of any of these troubles, bleeding conditions could be viewed commonly from one or both of the nostrils in dogs. Therefore, to be acquainted with the exact cause of the ailment, other symptoms of the same are also to be taken into account.
Symptoms of Epistaxis in Dogs:
Epistaxis in the dog’s body does not occur with a single symptom of blood oozing out of the nostrils. In fact, the disorder is a combination of symptoms which could affect whole of its body.
Some of the most common symptoms of Epistaxis in dogs are:
- Most prominently, the ooze of blood out of its nostrils in varying conditions, whether slow or continuous drip off the organ
- Dark colored vomits or presence of blood with the vomit
- Swelling and inflammations in the nose
- Outer nostril in a wounded state due to continuous pawing of the organ by the pet
- Painful and extremely sensitive nose
- Change in the color of feces of your pet
- Whining or continuous crying of the dog due to no specific reasons
Diagnosis Of The Nose Bleeds:
The most unique trait of blood is that its appearance in bulk could mar the thinking ability of the human beings and they could be up with a number of steps in order to stop its flow.
In case of your dogs, Epistaxis could be cured effectively with some precaution and proper consultation of your vet. As a primary support, you might wish to use a bit of ice-pack to offer some sort of relief, but the haste consultation of your vet is immensely imperative for the healthy recovery of the pet.
And even before the treatment, diagnosis of the disorder to know its exact cause and extent is all the more mandatory.
While you visit your vet with the pet that is affected with Epistaxis, make sure to carry its medical history with you. The vet would begin with asking the pet-keeper about the probable causes which could have led to the process.
In addition he or she may also require the information of food, medications, living conditions and any other previous symptoms that were experienced in its due life course. Also, if your pet displayed vomiting symptoms or change in the color of its stools, these too are to be notified to the vet.
The vet would begin with the physical examination of the pet’s nose, teeth, eyes and gums etc. Any probable swellings, abnormalities, redness or lumps could offer a great deal of information on the cause which led to Epistaxis in their body.
Depending upon this, the vet could opt for other tests such as CBC (complete blood count) to be sure of blood-related abnormalities such as anemia and dangerous issues such as organ damages etc.
Similar other tests, such as X-ray to determine any internal damage, MRI and bone marrow analysis, may also be performed by the vet to know the exact extent of damage done by the disorder. Depending upon these, it would be easier for them treat the specific trouble that led to Epistaxis.
Epistaxis Treatments In Dogs:
Thankfully, almost all the conditions that cause Epistaxis are treatable with ease, but in consideration of some specific points for your dog’s healthy conditions.
When the vets have ensured that even after the loss of blood, the body of dogs could do well, they would offer specific antibiotic treatment upon the requirement. For the dogs that have high blood pressure, the medications could be relating to the regulation of the blood pressure under specific conditions.
Bleeding is majorly caused due to infections and trauma in their body. And for all these troubles, there could be specific set of medications to do your dog in a better health in a predefined time limit.
For the dogs that suffer Epistaxis due to fungal infections, doctors could prescribe nasal aspirations, apart from the antifungal medications which are necessary. If your dog has a foreign element choked in its nose, the vets would offer to get it out effectively before any medications, so that it does not affect the inhalation capability of the pet.
Other serious disorders such as tumor, tick-borne disease or cancers have their specific set of treatments which could even take into account surgical practices to turn your pet well of health.
Living and Management of a disordered pet:
Since the conditions are not all the same, as they were before the discovery of Epistaxis in your pet, it would be imperative to bring about a change in its living conditions. You could follow proper dog grooming tips for the process and take into account the following points:
- Change in diet of the dogs could be suggested by the vet, especially if your dog suffers Epistaxis due to high blood pressure. Make sure you ask your vet for the kind of diet to be provided and follow this in a proper routine.
- Ask your vet about the immediate follow-ups when you discover any sort of bleeding conditions in your pet’s nostril. Some styptic powder, lotion or ointment, which could be kept in assistance to apply on the nostrils, would be a handy solution in emergencies.
- With your vet’s advice, you could also opt to use special equipments such as Elizabethan cones around your dog’s neck to prevent it from pawing the infected area.
- If you have been wondering to contain your pet in a crate to prevent it from roaming and worsening its body conditions, the prior advice of your vet could be handy.
- Even if you suppose your pet to be getting recovered in time, the scheduled visit at the vet’s clinic are more than imperative. Vets could also offer advice on increase or decrease in doses of medications that are to be followed in the due course.
Apart from all these, and in addition, pet keepers of Epistaxis-affected-pets are required to make a note of the improvements that their pets tend to show. Also, if the disorder is not showing the anticipated changes of wellness, you could expect the vets to change their treatment techniques for the betterment.