Due to the ever changing environment, humans could be subjected to innumerable insightful conditions which their body might not accept. You may feel that you are totally well and no sort of trouble resides in the body but there are certain objects, on encounter of which you do not feel fit. These are the clear signs that you body is allergic to some kind of material or natural substance.
Besides humans, our pets too are subjected to allergies in their body and these are quite natural. You would have noticed that while the spring season onsets, pets develop a natural itchy instinct. These itches may up surge to such a level that pets end up doing harms to their body. These allergies may be short-tenured or if sustained in the body, could harm your pets drastically.
Categories Of Pet Allergy:
The allergy in pets arises mainly due to two factors:
- Food: This is one of the major factors that lead to allergies in pets. There are certain food materials that are utterly prohibited to be consumed by the pets. These may include onions, garlic, raisins, milk products, scallops, raw potatoes, human sweets, chocolates, beverages such as tea, coffee, soft and hard drinks etc. While some of these items may react quickly in the body, the others work as a slow poison to degrade the body from inside. It is better to look out for the nourishment that you provide your pets, so that certain allergies do not make an abode in the body.
- Environmental conditions: The environment in which the pets thrive may also prove detrimental to their
- body. They would certainly not love excessively sultry conditions or frosty-cold environment to subsist. When the present environmental conditions and factors do not go along according to the needs of their body, they could develop sensitive conditions which later sum up to allergies. Therefore, an adequate living habitat with favoring environment conditions could lessen the chances of development of allergies in pets.
Under the environmental conditions, there could also be some sub-factors that affect the pets. These could be:
- Trees, grass, pollens and weeds etc.
- Fabrics such as wool and nylon
- Fleas and mites that attack the body of pets
- Dust and dirt that arise in the house and outside
- Certain soaps and shampoos that are used to clean it.
- Perfumes used by humans
- Cleaning products for the house
- Air conditioners and other cooling products
Symptoms Of Allergies In Pets:
There could be various signs and signals from your pet that indicate the presence of allergic conditions in the body and need to be watched out carefully. In contrast to the humans, the allergies may not affect the respiratory tract but have their proper influence on the outer skin. Some of these visible conditions are as follows:
- The foremost trouble that a pet encounters is a scratchy body. It would perform all sorts of exercises and scratch each and every part of the body that it could each. It may also finish up developing wounds of its own claws. What is more pathetic is its teeth might also come into play and this could lead to serious troubles on the outer body.
- The skin becomes visible, devoid of hairs that are frequently lost due to inflammations. It develops sores, tender skin and scabbing effects on the skin while the body hair continue to shed at a rapid pace.
- It could develop a condition known as ‘hot spots’. Hot spots are the marks that are highly infected by the bacteria in the body, such that it renders the skin red, could cause bleeding and the loss of hair prevails in gratis.
- The ears of the pets may also be highly affected by the itchy conditions which develop due to yeast and bacteria present in the body. These could develop itching in the ear canals too, apart from the outer visible ears.
- Some pets may also develop problems in the respiratory tract like the human beings do. Allergy may cause cough and cold, running nose and watery eyes etc, when the respiratory system is not in an apt condition to perform.
- There are conditions when pets develop allergies due to pollens, ragweed, grasses, molds and trees etc. If some of these minute particles get inhaled with the air, these affect the respiratory system of the pets and could develop diseases such as bronchitis and asthma.
- There is a frequent prevail of redness in the skin. It could be characterized by red eyes, red chin, red paws, read skin and even the genitals could go red because of it.
- Allergies may also affect the digestive system of the pets and develop conditions such as diarrhea and vomiting.
- Some pets constantly lick and chew their paws which results in swelling of legs and could also develop sores and wounds.
Prevention From The Allergies:
- Since most of the allergies are visible outside, therefore a proper homely care could prohibit the development of allergies in the pets. Some steps which could be followed are as follows:
- Offer frequent wash to your pets if they feel agitated due to allergies. You could use a prescribed soap and shampoo for the process and make sure that it reaches all parts of the body.
- Keep the pet away from substances that it feels allergic to. You could know it from the conditions that developinstantly on its subjection or you could also take the help of a vet to find out the requirement.
- Offer the recommended substances while you feed it and do not put forward the prohibited items, even in a negligible amount. The diet of your pet has a proper influence on its body and the feed being good or bad could determine the age of your pet.
- If your pet shivers from the mere name of going to the garden, it could have an environmental allergy due to various factors. Do not force it to the open areas which harm the immunity of the body.
If the household methods do not offer any good to the health of your pet, show it to a vet immediately. There are various clinical treatments that could be offered in the condition.
- Skin testing: This test is performed to identify the antigens that influence the skin in its degradation. A small part of the skin is shaved and a little bit of antigen is injected. After a few moments, the reaction of this is noted, and reading this it could be identified the factor that influenced the skin of pet. About 75% of the dermal diseases could be cured by this method and do not require any further test.
- Blood Testing: In this method the blood from the body is taken out and tested for the allergic conditions due to various factors such as dust, pollens, molds, fabrics and chemicals etc. After this it could be determined the specific object that worsens the condition of the pets.
- Allergy inhibiting medications:
- Bromelain and papain: These are the proteolytic enzymes, used to prevent the inflammations of the skin. They also suppress the release of prostaglandin enzyme which provides a passageway for the inflammations to occur.
- Quercetin: Quercetin is said to be a bioflavonoid that also renders antioxidant and anti-inflammatory functions. It is a natural repressor of a hazardous enzyme Histamine, which causes the bulk of inflammations, redness and irritation in the skin.
- Omega-3 fatty acids: Omega-3 fatty acids do a lot good to do away with the inflammations. The pets which struggle due to environmental allergies could be highly benefitted with the use of this material. This occurs naturally in tuna oil, salmon oil, anchovy oil and oils from the body of other fishes.
- Coconut Oil: The coconut oil is an effective method to kill the yeast and bacteria residing on the skin. It could also lessen the effect of inflammations and cure the wounds on skin.
- Immunotherapy: This is one of the main and modern methods to treat the atopic dogs. In this method a prior skin testing is offered to the pet and the conditions and antigens are identified. On the account of this a commercially prepared injection containing the changed antigens is introduced in the body. The pet becomes desensitized due to the regular use of the product. This system could take a lot of time and test the patience of vet as well as the owner.
- Steroids: Steroids are highly effective to remove the itching and inflammatory conditions of the pets. But because of certain side effects and long-term effects, the use of steroids is certainly not done on the pets.
With the use of these highly effective methods, you could do away with the allergies that your pets encounter. These are the temporary disorders and proper medication and care would surely make your pet as healthy as once it used to be.